Friday, April 17, 2009

Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp...


This is my second Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum. I can't wait to see what everyone has on their menu this week.


When making Italian food it is very important to use the best cheeses. My Grandmother, Mom, and Aunt's always visited the local cheese market every Saturday morning. It was a chance to socialize with friends in the Italian community. I use to hold my nose and roll my eyes when they opened the door to the cheese market. The owner would always laugh, offer me a sample of his best cheese, and I would always refuse. I was not impressed. My Mother was horrified at my behavior but I had my sight set on the Italian pastry store right next door. Long gone are those little neighborhood cheese stores and gone too is my finicky pallet. Today I wish I had a little cheese store in my neighborhood. While I know that these are hard economic times, and cheese can be pricey, remember there is more flavor in one ounce of good cheese then in that entire green shaky canister of make believe cheese. The use of fresh ingredients is the key to successful cooking.






1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 pound large shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style diced
tomatoes, drained

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add 1 tablespoon oil. Cook pasta in boiling water until
al dente. Place pasta in a colander, and give it a quick rinse with cold water.

Heat remaining olive oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring constantly, until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute. Do not let the garlic burn. Add shrimp, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from the skillet, and set aside.

Stir tomatoes, wine, parsley, and basil into the skillet. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, 8 to 12 minutes. Add shrimp, and continue cooking until shrimp are heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the shrimp mixture over the pasta.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.


Serve with a nice glass of white wine and a crusty loaf of fresh Italian bread.

MANGIA!

26 comments:

  1. Yummy, I love shrimp. And I love cheese. So, this recipe is for me!! They are building a cheese factory in our humble little town. I do hope they'll have a reatil outlet right here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful... thanks for stopping by, hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a very similar dish that we just love! How can you hate shrimp??? I agree with you 100% on the cheese. We're very partial to pecorino romano. Although it's pricey, it pays to buy good! Have a good weekend...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce!
    I love your blog design so much!

    Thanks for the comment. I love meeting new bloggers.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a meal my husband and grandson would love for me to make. Happy FF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that sounds easy enough and tasty. I love shrimp. Have you ever served it barbecued with smoked gouda grits? By the way, your blog is really cool.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, yummy!!!
    Love anything containing pasta!!!
    Thanks for commenting on my super easy Key Lime Pie!!!
    Happy Weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right Joyce about good cheese. I always splurge on the parmagiano reggiano. It's so worth it. Years ago, we had a cheese shop in our town where you could pick your cheese, purchase a freshly made roll and a pat of butter. I would stop in for lunch whenever I could. Thanks so much for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds very good and I have almost all of these ingredients. My hubby loves cheese better than anything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish sounds and looks so good (I can't eat pasta or cheese, darn). The lemon cake and your Easter egg bread though I could eat so I may try those. I love lemon anything! Thanks for stopping by and your nice commentsl

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just solved the mystery of what to make for dinner tonight at my house! This made my tummy growl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this sounds delish! Love the shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Looks like we have some things in common, one being great cooks for grandmas! I will return

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shrimp, cheese, pasta, now you've got my attention...I feel so fortunate to have access to wonderful seafood in the northwest. I will definitely be cooking up this recipe. Pasta is the Italian comfort food. Paired with seafood makes a northwest delight. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good. Just the kinda thing The Husband and I love to whip up on the weekends!
    Thx for the great recipe~
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,
    That is one of my faves...looks delicious!
    Enjoy the weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I married an Italian, and my mother-in-law used to say, "Mangia," before every meal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce! Thank you for coming over to visit! I like your blog too! Is that your backyard in your title photo?! Oh my gosh it's gorgeous! How 'bout I come over and sit in your back yard and you can cook us something good! LOL! Your pasta looks delicious! God Bless! Lauralu :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this looks soo good.

    Alfazema

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for coming and visiting my blog. We do have a lot in common. I have not heard the work "Mangia" since my mother died. She made the best raviolis. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my all time favorite meals...nothing is better then shrimp and angel hair...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love shrimp so much and when it is combined with pasta, I am over the moon. Your recipe looks so easy and delicious. I am definitely going to try it. Yummy! Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like a perfect recipe!
    I might just have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by to sign up for my giveaway! I'm glad to find a blog with such wonderful recipes!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds like a great recipe. Do you think you could substitute fresh tomatoes for the canned? We have a garden full of (almost ripe) tomatoes and I'm thinking this would be a great way to use some of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peaking in at my blog! Come back and visit again.