Friday, May 8, 2009

Chocolate Cake & Aunt Mary...Foodie Friday

This weeks theme is Cake and since I love to play with flour this was a fun theme for me!
Please visit Designs by Gollum to view more delicious cakes.


This week I was watching the movie MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. The part where the Mom brings her bundt cake to meet the in-laws reminds me of my Aunt Mary. Aunt Mary loved to bake bundt cakes. Each week she would bake several for family and friends. She did not drive and she loved to have company. Being Italian, she knew that the way to entice you to visit her was through your stomach. Every Saturday morning, my brother and I would scramble to the telephone while it was ringing . We would make a bet with each other to see if the call was from Aunt Mary. If the call was from Aunt Mary, she would casually ask if we would like to come over to pick up the special bundt cake that she made just for us. Since Aunt Mary had twelve brothers and sisters, and a ton of grown nieces and nephews with children of their own, it was truly like winning the Italian lottery in our family if you received "THE CALL".


Aunt Mary's Chocolate Bundt Cake

Preheat oven to 350
Grease and flour bundt pan (serves a dozen Italians)

1 box of devil's food cake mix
1 package chocolate instant pudding mix (3.9 small size)
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Place cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, warm water, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low speed with electric mixer for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
Increase speed to medium and beat 2-3 minutes scraping down the sides if needed.
Fold in the chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan.
Place in oven on the middle rack.
Bake cake until it springs back 45-50 minutes. Oven temps differ so test with a toothpick.
Remove pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
Invert cake onto a rack to cool completely for 20 minutes or more. You may need to run a knife around the edge of the pan should it stick to the sides.
When cake is completely cool sprinkle with powdered sugar.

So bake Aunt Mary's Bundt cake and make "THE CALL" and entice someone special to share this chocolate treat. I promise you that you will both feel SPECIAL!

MANGIA!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Love the story of your Aunt Mary. Sounds like a few ladies I grew up with as well!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little piece of family trivia..
    What a nice family you must have grown up in to have a wonderful caring Aunt like that! Sometimes I think families have changed, at least to a certain degree. Something is different. Sunday dinners for the family..?
    I'm not sure..
    Your cake looks wonderful and the presentation with the strawberries and the lovely cake plate are an inspiration to bake but it's a bit too hot today....see? And I have air conditioning! Excuses, excuses! NEXT FRIDAY I will BAKE a CAKE! :)
    Perhaps I don't bake as much because my son owns a bakery..and I can just run up and get one. But..that is no excuse either. I will BAKE!
    Hugs,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I must ask if that is your yard in your header? It is just gorgeous. Oh to have such a yard!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a big family is a wonderful thing ... and to have an Aunt Mary is even more so...Happy Mother's Day to you Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very special memory you shared today and the recipe sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest story! And the cake looks mighty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I know what cake I'm baking next! This has 3 of my favorite ingredients...chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding and chocolate chips. Do you see the theme?

    And since my BF has a large Italian family, this is a must for the next dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful, generous aunt you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't every Italian family have their own Aunt Mary...great story...and I love the recipe...chocolate pudding and sour cream...now that's a moist cake...Have a Great Mother's Day....and a Happy Mother's Day to Annie...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story as well as a good cake --

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great! Chocolate pudding, sour cream, chocolate chips? How could you go wrong! I love your story about Aunt Mary. And you know her cakes were delicious because they were baked with love. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I have to say that I loved that movie - I work in a dental office and we so have a family like that one...they are so cute! Just like your Aunt Mary - that was so sweet of her to bake the cakes to entice her family to visit. This is a great recipe and I am for saving this! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a sweet story! (oops, a pun) I have made that recipe and it is one of the best! Yum yum! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bundt cake sounds delicious! I always associate bundt cake with My Big Fat Greek Wedding too!

    We loved the book; it had some great lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bundt cake - I would love your Aunt Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce! I had to come visit after you left me a comment that had me giggling. Eating baby food for months, eh? Me thinks you need to go to the dentist!
    Okay, I'm with ya on the whole Italian grandmother thing, but EGADS woman, she used a box mix!!!!!!! LOL
    And I've gotta say, the name of your blog is frickin' brilliant!!!!!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great Mother's Day ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummm! This one is definitely a keeper!

    Hope you have a happy Mother's day! ☺ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joyce, this is an awesome recipe! I love how you garnished the cake. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful memories you have of your Aunt Mary and her cakes. So special!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peaking in at my blog! Come back and visit again.